Completed: Roses for Rosa

Well, that’s Roses for Rosa all done. Given the amount of worrying I did over the quilting, I’m surprised how much I like this quilt! So much so that I’m semi-tempted to take off the label and keep it for myself 😉

Roses for Rosa - quilt top

I think the part I’m most pleased about is that I managed to piece the back so that the strips of pictures were almost parallel to the top of the quilt and were positioned so that the left and right pictures didn’t get chopped off by the binding. It took a while to get them in the right place, but it was worth it.

Roses for Rosa - quilt back

I outline quilted the white whirligigs with pink, green, yellow and blue variegated thread. The thread was 30 weight and I don’t think I’d choose it again because it played havoc with the tension. No matter what I did, I couldn’t get the top thread not to appear on the bottom or visa versa. In the end, the top thread shows through slightly on the bottom, but it’s well hidden by the pattern.

Roses for Rosa - quilting

The binding was made from leftovers from the top, although I left out the bright pink dotty one because it was going to stick out too much.

Roses for Rosa - binding

Advertisements

4 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Nancy
    Oct 23, 2009 @ 00:15:52

    You did a fantastic job on this quilt. I love the pinwheel pattern. Your colors work great together. And the back is great. Congratulations on a job well done.

    Reply

  2. CitricSugar
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 04:59:09

    Really happy you’ve made peace with the quilt – it turned out lovely!

    Reply

  3. Cheryl Arkison
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 15:32:48

    It looks great! And I love the binding.
    (I’ve also had a murderous time with 30 wt thread. Not for me! But if you do try it again, think about your needle size. I did have better luck once I switched to a 90/14 needle. I also use those when I work with Sulky.)

    Reply

    • whatktmadenext
      Oct 27, 2009 @ 20:20:24

      Thanks for the tip! I was using a 90/14 needle, but it was a topstitch one rather than a regular one. Maybe that was where I was going wrong… If I ever get any free time, ‘ll have a play around on a scrap quilt sandwich and see if I can come up with something that works.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 15 other followers

%d bloggers like this: